On the first day we have covered the following topics (SDLC deck):
1. Application Lifecycle Management
Mike has talked about the business value of the ALM, here is a link to the Power Point deck.
2. VSTS & TFS Overview
We have covered how Microsoft addresses the need for the robust set of tools for the ALM, the PowerPoint presentation is here.
3. Team Explorer Overview (Security, Collaboration, Alerts, Source Control)
- Team Foundation Administration Tool was used to show how to simplify user management in TFS.
- TFS Power Tools "Alerts Editor" was used to customize alert setup, a user interface to BisSubscribe.exe.
- Team System Web Access and Work Item Web Access were briefly shown as alternatives to default sharepoint site and WIWA a free (no license required) workitem creation tool.
We have covered some of the popular TFS Templates for Agile Development
- eSCRUM, used by some teams at Microsoft (by some reason the download link is broken, I do have a copy of it somewhere and will post the download link shortly)
- VSTS Scrum on Codeplex, maintained by a group of MVPs, a light version of scrum implementation. It is a great starting point for customization.
- SCRUM for Team Systems from Conchango, out of box fully implemented scrum template with a great set of features.
I have used TFS Power Tools "Process Editor" to modify template during my demos.
5. Work Item Management (Tools for Managing Requirements)
Besides showing a variety of ways one may create and manage work items in TFS (Team Explorer, Excel, Project, Web Access, WIWA) I also briefly demoed: TeamLook and TeamSpec.